Saturday, November 24, 2012

FIRE ANT BITE – YIKES

 

How to Treat a Fire Ant Bite thumbnail

This afternoon I was taking out the garbage, slipped on my flip flops and got quite a surprise.  Something bit me.  I pulled the shoe off right away and saw the culprit, now dead!

A red ant.  Wow what a bite.  You would not think that such a little thing could pack such a wallop.

Being concerned that I may have an allergic reaction, I first took some Benadryl.  Then we looked on the internet.

We washed my big toe with soap and water, rubbed it with rubbing alcohol and applied a baking soda paste.  Then we wrapped it loosely in gauze. 

It stung like the dickens for about 5 hours and now…it is gone…completely.  I am having a hard time remembering which toe.

I am sure going to make sure I shake out my shoes from now on.

5 comments:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Oh how I hate those little rascals. When I get bit, I run hot water on the bite and then pour white vinegar on it. That seems to work pretty good. It takes the sting away super fast.

Jim and Sandie said...

I'm hoping the weather gets cold enough (I can't believe I'm saying that) to chase all those things away before we head out in January. Haven't seen any around here, thank goodness. So glad you're fine now.

Linda Sand said...

Wow! Five hours! Checking shoes now.

Wanderin' said...

Living in Texas we were always alert for fire ants. When I fertilized the lawn I usually always added fire ant killer to the spreader ... just to be sure. Their bites definitely sting. We've had more than our share of them attack us. I'm glad they haven't made it up north yet. They are nasty little things.

Sue and Doug said...

glad to hear that the 'sting' didn't amount to a visit to the ER!
shaking shoes will now be a daily ritual at your house!