Tuesday, November 5, 2019

"I WANNA TALK ABOUT ME"

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

This is a post about me and more particularly, about the situation I find myself in.  Many friends ask and I want to clear things up. 

My Health

After many, many months and more tests than you can imagine, I have some answers.  Before we go any further, my life motto is now 

                         ACCEPT AND ADAPT

I have been diagnosed with Small Vessel Ischemia. 

Microvascular ischemic disease is a term that's used to describe changes to the small blood vessels in the brain. ... Small vessel ischemic disease is very common in older adults. If left untreated, it can contribute to mental decline, strokes, walking and balance problems, and dementia

Both my grandmother and mother had the same infliction.  The difference with them and with me is that I will NOT give up.  There is no cure but I can accept and adapt.

In the definition above, I have walking and balance problems.  I can walk about 40 steps without my cane or walker.  I have noticed some memory problems but I don't give up.  If it doesn't come to me on it's own, I look it up on the internet.  I have had a memory test and did pretty good.  I will have another in 6 months to see how I am doing.

It would help if I could lose weight and believe me I try.  I hadn't gained very much considering that I have been on a "feeling sorry for myself" diet.  I will try again, and again until I can make some progress.

There is no cure but I can slow down the process.  I am on a couple of medications.  One is to lower cholesterol and one is for depression (which I don't have much).   I also take one aspirin a day.  Seniors should all take an aspirin a day to prevent strokes. 

I also have severe Sleep Apnea.  I have known this for quite a long time but it is even more important to treat now.  The more oxygen to my brain the better.  At first, I hated the CPAP machine that a dear friend gave me.  I changed out the mask and I am doing much better with it.  I can get 7, 8 and even 9 hours sleep.  I haven't slept like that for at least 25 years.

Doug has been wonderful.  He does everything for me.  I have learned to ask for help, something that was very hard for me to do in the past.  I can make the bed, I struggle to make dinner every day, I still bake bread and make pizza.  I don't often bake goodies and when I do, we have company or give them away.  I have learned to swallow my pride and use the electric scooters that Walmart supplies.

I spend most of my days in my brand new electric recliner in front of the tv.  Thanks to Netflix, Acorn and Prime, I never run out of things to watch.  We play cards and Scrabble. We do jigsaw puzzles.  We have 12 stairs to the basement and outside.  The laundry room is in the basement and so...Doug does all the laundry.  He never complains. 

We bought season's tickets to our local junior hockey games.  We got to choose our seats and were lucky to get seats in the first row off the mezzanine.  Perfect.   And of course, we watch all the Canucks' games on tv.

I never was much of a relaxer but now I am forced to do just that.   There is one piece of my health situation yet unsolved.  I have very, very little energy.  But I struggle.  I do things slowly and plan my steps. 

So what about travel.  We have talked about that.  Once I feel more confident about getting around, we will do something.  Fly somewhere, drive to Arizona, something.

I miss my "traveling" friends.  We hope that come spring some of them will come see us.  We live in the most beautiful place and we have a very big driveway.



16 comments:

sarah vandergugten said...

Wow, Toni. Some big changes to adapt to. It sounds like you are doing your best! Doug is a gem. I'll be praying for you. 💜💜

Ruby said...

I commend you for staying positive and not giving up. I enjoyed our friendship in travel and still enjoy it when I hear from you. We are all getting older and forced to slow down a little. As much as we would like to come up to see you, it's looking more and more like this may be our last big trip due to Jack's inability to walk far without severe pain in his legs. Take care of yourself and keep on keeping on. See you on Facebook. Friends forever, Ruby & Jack

Palamine said...

Thank you Sarah.

Palamine said...

Thank you Ruby.

billandjanrvingtheusa.blogspot.com said...

If anyone can do it, you can! I know together you two are stronger. Lean on Doug, he's there for you. Keep us posted on what else they find.

Linda Sand said...

You can do this! You are both determined people.

When you feel ready to travel again, consider buying a TravelScoot. Mine lets me go further than I can walk now. It was designed by a guy that designs experimental aircraft so it only weighs 35 pounds and can fold up into a carrying bag. When set up it is still only 2' x 3' and fits in the back of our Honda CR-V just by removing the seat back.

Elizabeth wrote a blog for users of the TravelScoot which I have enjoyed reading. http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com

Jim and Sandie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim and Sandie said...

Hit the wrong button. I know that you and Doug will fight this battle with everything you have. And we will be praying for you the whole way. A lot of us have reached the accept and adapt point in life. So we push on and make new memories. Love you girl.

Palamine said...

Thank you.

Palamine said...

I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

Palamine said...

Thank you. I will keep you up to date.

Traveling Along said...

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I know you are a fighter and can do this with Doug's help. Our husbands are the best. I know that Ed is very good to me and never denies me anything. Doug is the same. Lean on him. Our love to you both...Linda and Ed

Palamine said...

Wow! Thank you.

Wanderin' said...

That's a good attitude. How your mother and grandmother did has no connection with how you will adjust. Hopefully, you'll be going strong for many more years!

Gary Tracy said...

Sincerely i was so sad when my husband was diagnosed of Parkinsons disease 2 years ago, when he was 49. He had a stooped posture, tremors, right arm does not move and also a pulsating feeling in his body. He was placed on Senemet for 8 months and then Siferol was introduced and replaced the Senemet, during this time span he was also diagnosed with dementia. He started having hallucinations, lost touch with reality. Suspecting it was the medication I took him off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started him on PD natural herbal formula we ordered from Dr James, his symptoms totally declined over a 3 weeks use of the Dr James HERBAL Formula or Parkinsons disease natural herbal formula. He is now almost 51 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed! my Husband was cured and now my Husband is free from Parkinsons, i went to the hospital that said there was no cure to Parkinsons and informed them about my Husband healing and they were surprised. here is the contact email ( jamesherbalformula@gmail.com ) also reach him on hangout or through his whatsapp number via +2348102574680 Regards.

Unknown said...

Greetings to everyone reading this testimony,am here to
testify of a great man who was able to cure me permanently from herpes
Disease just with his herbal medicine,i have been herpes Positive for 5
years before i came across Dr voodoo Email on the internet on how he has
been using his herbal medicine to treat and cure patients from different
virus, so i contacted him and i explain to him concerning my problem, i
followed up with the instructions he gave me and he urge me to have faith
in his words that he was going to restore my health back, after some couple
of days Dr voodoo sent me some medicine which he gave me prescription on
how to take for 2 weeks, to make the long story short, I have been
confirmed Negative from my recent test in the hospital, just within 2 weeks
Dr voodoo was able to make me healthy and see reasons to live again, though
science says there is no cure, i believe God has sent this great man to
save people, you can all contact him for his medicine, he has presently
been treating diseases like,CANCER,BLOOD DISEASE,DIABETES,HIV,TYPHOID, and
many others, you can contact this man on voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com.or
add him on whatsApp +2348140120719, God Bless you sir!